Saturday, May 28, 2011

Union Food Market



I was intrigued by an article that ran in the Vancouver Sun last week (May 25th) about a little secret gem in the Strathcona area on Vancouver that serves up delicious, homemade Portuguese pastries. The article, titled "The Secret Treats of Metro Vancouver: Orange fritters" was alluring enough for me to stop what I was doing, read the article in full and actually put a note in my calendar to check it out next week. Union Food Market, I will visit you soon.


Well, that day came earlier than expected as I was near the area today with hubby and Benna so we stopped in for a little munchie.


This place is as cute as can be. The area is tucked away near the little park off Venables (where they train K-9 dogs for the police department, I forget the name) and close to La Casa Gelato (famous for their many exotic flavours). One would think that the address on their website is wrong because all around Union St. are residences upon residences. But there it stood, just like a favourite neighbourhood dwelling, a cute little market nestled in a tiny cul-de-sac between townhomes and small detached homes. I would never think to venture here for some of the best pastries I've ever had. But now that I know where they are, I will definitely be crossing the Second Narrows Bridge more frequently.


I came in hoping for some of the coveted orange fritters that the article raved about, but I knew they would be sold out. And they were. A fresh batch to be made not until Monday. Boo for me.






But I had the munchies and I needed something to tie me over. There were cod cakes, shrimp cakes, samosa and fried chicken in the heated home goods cabinet. In another were the pastries: cookies, egg tarts, scones and other baked goodies. I had eyed the egg tarts when I came in as I knew they were Portuguese egg tarts from their browned, caramelized top. So I ordered one of those and a chicken samosa for hubby. The nice lady behind the counter said I would love the egg tart. I was quite excited to check it out for myself.


We left the shop and I tore open my little paper bag enclosed tart and sunk my teeth into it's yummy goodness. Oh my gosh...HEAVEN! It was like creme brulee in a pie crust! The custard was not eggy at all (like it's chinese egg tart counterpart) but was creamy and slightly sweet. The caramelized sugar on top melded well with the pastry crust to create this chewy, slighlty crispy bite. Delicious!


I ran back in and ordered 4 more to go! I needed to have this taste again tonight and more later...if they lasted! The lady inside smirked when she saw me re-enter the store..."more tarts?", she asked? I smile and just said, "yes, please" and held up four fingers, excitedly.


As for the samosa, my hubby loved it too. It was less of an Indian style samosa, the flavours were different but all the main ingredients were there: ground chicken, peas and potatoes. I'm not sure what the spices were but they did work well together and made a delicious savoury treat.


I will be back for sure to check out the other homemade goodies that makes the neighbourhood come back for more. What a great find!


Union Food Market

810 Union Street, Vancouver

Phone: 604.255.5025

No comments:

Post a Comment